Position: Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education (GME)
Location: Spokane, WA
Status: Full-time, Employed, Salaried Position
Institution: Washington State University College of Medicine
Specialty: Graduate Medical Education; GME; GME Programs; Medical Education; Primary Care
Salary + Benefits: Competitive Pay; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Retirement Options; Relocation Assistance
Associate Dean for GME Opportunity Description
A unique opportunity to transform graduate medical education in the Pacific Northwest as the Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education (GME) at Washington State University (WSU) Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, Washington’s premier community-based medical school located in Spokane, WA. The Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine seeks applicants who want to leave a legacy of improving the health of Washington communities and, specifically, individuals who want to help solve problems in challenging health care environments within the state, region, and beyond.
Growing Washington’s health care workforce at the physician level, with a focus on primary care and community-based medicine, is essential to meeting the state’s health care delivery needs. To help meet this critical need, WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine is pleased to launch a national search for its Associate Dean for GME to oversee and lead all GME programs through strategic planning, development, and innovation throughout the state of Washington, making an indelible contribution to the GME mission, the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, and the diverse communities it serves. The GME mission resonates throughout all training programs at WSU College of Medicine.
In October 2016, the WSU Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine earned accreditation from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). Since matriculating its first class of medical students in 2017, the WSU College of Medicine has been building a broad-based clinical environment where medical students learn to become the next generation of physician leaders.
Culturally relevant GME programs. Land-Grant recognition. Renowned faculty & National Academies members. State-of-the-art facilities. A healthy, supportive environment. Statewide impact. These are just some of the reasons to choose WSU College of Medicine. WSU is one of the largest residential universities in the West. The Spokane campus, where this position is based, is an entrepreneurial urban campus focused on health science education. The Associate Dean will also serve as the Designated Institutional Official for the purpose of Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Institutional and Program Sponsorship.
- WSU GME Programs: Internal Medicine Residency Program – Everett received ACGME commendation; and 40 residents, 12 categorical PGY-1 and 4 preliminary PGY-1 positions available. Family Medicine Residency Program – Pullmanis ACGME-accredited; and has three residents per year, with nine total. Visiting Student Sub-Internship (Sub-I) Opportunities.
- More than a Century of Excellence: Founded in 1890 as Washington’s original land-grant university. Today, WSU enrolls over 30,000 students across all campuses: Spokane, Pullman, Everett, Tri-Cities, Vancouver, and Global.
- A Top Research University: WSU is ranked with “very high research activity” in the Carnegie Classification. In fact, researchers brought in $37.6 million in research grants and contract awards in fiscal year 2020, a record for WSU Health Sciences Spokane.
- WSU’s Native American Health Sciences program recently opened its brand-new Center for Native American Health.
- Highly Personalized Curriculum: Interprofessional training, Innovative patient care delivery systems, Leadership training, and Continuing education and career development. Clinical experiences across the state at WSU campus locations.
- WSU employees promote academic excellence and innovative research that serves the state, nation, and world.
- World-class providers are committed to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our student population.
- Live in a vibrant location: Ranked among the most desirable places to live in the U.S., Spokane, with its big-city amenities and small-city feel, is recognized for year-round outdoor recreation and high quality-of-life indices. Surrounded by incredible natural landscapes, Spokane is a major healthcare hub and the largest along the northern corridor of the United States tucked between Minneapolis and Seattle.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, knowledge, experience, education, and credentials. WSU offers competitive pay and a full benefits package that includes 401(k), Health, Dental and Vision insurance, paid vacation, sick, and holidays.
- MD (preferred) or equivalent; PhD or EdD with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in GME.
- Experience at rank of Associate Professor or higher at an accredited medical school in the United States or Canada.
- Demonstrated success in developing, coordinating, or implementing medical education programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge base regarding current national initiatives and developments in GME.
- Experience interacting with the ACGME or other educational accrediting bodies.
- Demonstrated success in leading the development and accreditation of a GME program.
- Experience with innovative educational methodologies and health care delivery systems.
- Service in a senior leadership role in a community based medical school or academic health center.
- Experience and/or demonstrated appreciation of diversity and inclusion and success in facilitating learning for a diverse student body.
For immediate and confidential consideration, please inquire with an updated copy of your CV and a letter of interest. Qualified and interested candidates should submit their interest by September 30, 2022. All inquiries should be submitted to Eric Dickerson: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com
WSU College of Medicine has partnered with Kaye/Bassman to fill this position for The WSU Office of GME. WSU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse staff, faculty, and student body. In accordance with established laws, the University prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service, or political affiliation for employees in all aspects of employment and for students in academic programs and activities.