Position: Medical Director of Echocardiography
Location: Hershey, PA
Status: Full-time, Employed, Salaried Position
Company: Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State Heart & Vascular Institute (HVI)
Specialty: Cardiology; Cardiac Imaging; Echocardiography
Salary + Benefits: Competitive Pay; Comprehensive Benefits Package & Retirement Options; Paid Relocation Assistance
Medical Director of Echocardiography Opportunity Description
The Penn State Heart & Vascular Institute (HVI) and the Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center are actively recruiting for arecognized academic leader in cardiac imaging to serve as the Medical Director of Echocardiography in Hershey, PA. Penn State HVI is a leader in providing advanced, coordinated care for cardiovascular disease in the region. In fact, we’re home to the region’s only heart transplant center.
This medical director leadership position is in the Diagnostic Cardiology and Cardiac Imaging Program. An active Echocardiography Laboratory exists with imaging in structural heart disease and includes an Echocardiography Core Lab. In addition, nuclear cardiac, CT, and cardiac MRI programs exist in our academic health center with medical student, resident, and fellowship training programs.
The Penn State Health System offers an academic practice with clinical material and support to sustain an academic career. The state-of-the-art Penn State Heart & Vascular Institute (primary practice location) is a 63-physician integrated multi-specialty group that includes Cardiology, Interventional Radiology, Vascular Surgery, and CT Surgery. The HVI has become a national academic model for the delivery of integrated, collaborative, and cutting-edge patient care.
HVI PROGRAM HIGLIGHTS:
- HVI Revenue over $500 Million annually.
- Patient Caseload: 19,766 procedures per year; 2,500 HVI Admissions per year. Directly compete with WellSpan Health, UPMC, and Penn Medicine.
- Call Schedule: TEE call about 8 weeks per year; General cardiology call 4-6 weeks per year.
- Echo Lab Space: An active Echo Core Lab (funded by research trials) and an active HVI clinical trials program available on Hershey Medical Center Campus. Echo Core Lab specializes in LV strain; Translational Basic Research Lab in ACHD; an active TAVR program with imaging; and major cardiac transplant/ECMO/LVAD programs.
- Advanced Equipment: Siemens SC2000 cardiac ultrasound, Siemens Bonsai (portable laptop), Philips Epiq CVX, Philips Affiniti, Synapse Cardiovascular Advanced Reporting for echocardiograms, TomTec 3D and Strain Analysis, MUSE EKG Database.
- Access to State-of-the-art Facilities: All 5 local clinic sites, in addition to the Main Hospital, are supported by staff and physicians from the HVI.
- Collaborative Work Environment: The Penn State Department of Medicine has over 230 faculty; HVI has over 80 full-time faculty (40 of whom are Cardiology Division faculty). Additionally, HVI has strong collaboration with the Department of Public Health Sciences for Research; Possible dual academic appointment in Radiology.
- A Great Place to Work: Penn State Hershey is a great place to work with a broad spectrum of trained subspecialties in all aspects of cardiac care. Promotional opportunities include promotions to Full Professor; Vice Chair; and future Chief of Cardiology opportunities within Penn State HVI.
- The Penn State Heart Transplant Program is recognized as one of the most successful in the country.
- Penn State Hershey Medical Center was named one of the top hospitals in the nation in 2022-2023, No. 1 in the Harrisburg metro region, and No. 5 in Pennsylvania by U.S. News & World Report.
Penn State HVI is seeking a candidate at the Associate or Professor of Medicine level with an established track record of mentorship. The successful candidate will be a nationally recognized academic leader with a substantial record of leadership, clinical and administrative accomplishments, education scholarship, and research productivity and teaching experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Board-certified/Board-eligible in Cardiology and have successfully completed an ACGME-approved residency.
- Medical degree: M.D., D.O., or foreign equivalent.
- Board Certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM).
- Completion of a Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship.
- Advanced Level 3 Training in Cardiovascular Imaging/ National Board of Echocardiography Certified.
- Candidates must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Possess outstanding clinical and teaching skills, can foster research, and share a commitment to excellence, diversity.
Penn State Health has partnered with executive search firm Kaye/Bassman International to fill this position. All inquiries and expressions of interest, (including a cover letter and CV) should be submitted to Elaine Auerbach: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Elaine Auerbach, MBA, MPH
Managing Partner & Practice Leader
Kaye/Bassman International Corp.
Phone:(972) 265-5259 – Direct
Email: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Penn State Health is an EOE. Minorities/Women/Individuals with disabilities/Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Penn State Health seeks candidates who embrace and reflect diversity in the broadest sense.
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to skill, knowledge, experience, education, and credentials.
Compensation + Benefits:
In addition to a rewarding career, we also offer great benefits including but not limited to:
- Paid Time Off and Personal Time
- Medical Benefits (No waiting period)
- Dental and Vision Benefits
- Penn State University Tuition Assistance
- Elder Care/Child Care Resources
- Life Insurance
- Company Sponsored 401K
- Paid Parental Leave
- Relocation Bonus for those who qualify
LIVING & WORKING IN HERSHEY, PA:
Located in the heart of The Sweetest Place on Earth, Penn State Health’s flagship 628-bed medical center, Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, is central Pennsylvania’s only locally based academic medical center and is the only medical facility in Pennsylvania to be accredited as a Level 1 trauma center for both children and adults.
Known as the home of the Hershey chocolate bar, Hershey’s community is distinct in history and offers a diverse culture. Our local neighborhoods boast a reasonable cost of living whether you prefer a more rural, suburban setting or thriving city rich in theater, arts, and culture. The proximity to Philadelphia, Baltimore/Washington, D.C., New York City, and the New Jersey shore makes Hershey the perfect location for those wishing additional opportunities to explore and relax.