Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services
Position: Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Company: New Mexico State University
Specialty: Facilities Management
Rate: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
Learn more about this AVP for Facilities Opportunity at NMSU
Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer, the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services is responsible for capital construction, renovation, and remodel projects; operation and maintenance of physical plant facilities, including utilities; the NMSU Master Plan and space planning; and central utility plant, and NMSU’s environmental sustainability initiatives. The AVP focuses on the continual improvement of the facilities to ensure the short-and long-term plans are in place for addressing and completing deferred maintenance, renovation and renewal projects, and for implementing a comprehensive planned maintenance program. The AVP will represent the university to various external entities, including governmental and private.
The Role of Associate Vice President
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversees the overall operations of unit(s) reporting to this position.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and changes required for improvement.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains organizational structure to effectively accomplish the department’s function.
- Oversees the supervision of personnel which includes: work allocation, training, promotion, internal procedures and controls, problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; creates and fosters a constructive working relationship, motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Fosters effective communication and collaboration within the facilities organization while serving as a staff advocate who supports high quality, innovative programs to attract, develop, motivate, and retain a diverse workforce.
- Directs the implementation of management development, skills training, and safety and labor relations programs; coordinates with other university entities initiatives/programs regarding affirmative action, union negotiation, and equal opportunity.
- Ensures a high standard of transparency.
- Develops and manages annual budgets for the organization and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Recommends and participates in the development of university policies and procedures; serves on university committees.
- Plans, develops, and implements strategies for generating resources and/or revenues for the organization.
- Communicates goals, priorities, and plans to internal plant personnel and to the campus community that allows for open dialogue to review and adjust when necessary.
- Assists with community-related physical space/resources projects and initiatives; serves on professional association committees.
- Works collaboratively to support NMSU colleges and administrative divisions, branch campuses, and auxiliaries.
- Identifies best practice solutions to organizing and improving work, utilizing contractors, and third parties to maximize the value of services to the institution.
- Advises the university administration on the funding needs to adequately maintain the physical facilities of the institution, and in the allocation of fiscal resources for various capital improvement, and maintenance projects at each campus.
- Presents facilities and services projects and initiatives to the Regents and state agencies.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Works closely and collaboratively with Information Communication and Technologies (ICT), Real Estate, Arrowhead Center, Auxiliaries, Athletics, branch campuses, and other units supporting NMSU goals.
The Associate Vice President must possess the following qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Experience: Ten (10) years of increasingly progressive management experience in one or more areas that report to this position.
Preferred Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of equal opportunity and affirmative action programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in customer service standards and procedures.
- Experience organizing and leading development of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Demonstrated expertise with financial/business analysis, budgeting, monitoring, and reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the management of utility systems within a deregulated environment preferred.
- Experience with developing conservation and sustainability programs to support NMSU sustainability goals.
- Skill in facilities planning, budget preparation, analysis, and fiscal management for a large complex university system.
- Skill in examining and reengineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures. Strategic planning skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Focus on employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel.
- Ensure that plant administrative, safety, and operating procedures are current and reflect the requirements of other universities and local, state and federal regulations.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart information to a range of clientele and/or media sources. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to establish a system of staff accountability; ensuring goals and objectives are established and met.
- Ability to negotiate and manage contractual arrangements.
- Ability to understand and guide staff in various construction delivery methods to complete projects as required by the State of New Mexico.
- Ability to participate in the planning and construction of new buildings, as well as major renovation and repair projects.
- Engaged in professional organizations like APPA, SCUP, NACUBO, etc.
NMSU proudly offers a full range of benefit options to enhance overall wellbeing through competitive and comprehensive packages designed to support the employee and their family.
View the full Position Prospectus
For immediate and confidential consideration, please inquire with an updated copy of your CV/resume and a letter of interest. All inquiries should be sent to Trey Wright: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com
Managing Partner & Practice Leader
Kaye/Bassman International Corp.
Phone: (972) 265-5338 – Direct
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com
Salary is commensurate with experience. NMSU offers competitive pay and a full benefits package that includes the NM Educational Retirement Plan, Health, Dental, and Vision insurance, paid vacation, sick and holidays.
NMSU has partnered with Kaye/Bassman to provide executive search services for the Facilities & Services. NMSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.