Director of Marketing and Communications
Position: Director of Marketing and Communications
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Company: Rockford University
Specialty: Communications; Public Relations; Marketing; Graphic Design
Rate: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package + Relocation Assistance are included.
Learn more about this Director of Marketing & Communications Opportunity at Rockford University
Director of Marketing and Communications
Rockford University invites nominations and applications for the full-time position of Director of Marketing and Communications. We seek a leader who shares our values of a diverse and equitable workplace based on collaborative teamwork, personal initiative, and a commitment to consistency and excellence.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for leading the University’s external communications, including media relations, reputation management, marketing, social media, crisis communications, and supporting enrollment/admissions efforts. Under the direction of the Vice President for Advancement, the Director is responsible for planning, overseeing, and assessing the University’s efforts in the areas of marketing, communications, public information, and media relations. The Director is responsible for leading the development and implementation of public relations and communication strategies for
The principal accountabilities of the position are developing public relations plans, messaging, and strategies and leading the day-to-day public relations functions for the University. Additionally, the Director’s top priority will be the development and implementation of integrated plans that impact University enrollment/admissions as well as continuing to enhance its reputation among key audiences including current/prospective students, alum, and donors. Further, the Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for ensuring that the content created and distributed by the Department is effective, on message, and top quality. The Director will also work closely with the President and other senior leaders across the University on media relations and thought leadership initiatives.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee a team of marketing and communications professionals. The Director will provide visionary leadership and direction over the University’s branding, marketing, and strategic communications. The Director will be a producer of content and will instill a culture of collaboration amongst the campus community. Ongoing content generation is of utmost importance for the Director to produce as well as the team they supervise.
Rockford University strongly encourages nominations and applications from individuals traditionally underrepresented. A rich benefits package is available, upon hire, including medical, dental, vision, life and tuition remission for employee, spouse/partner, and dependents.
The Role of Director of Marketing & Communications
Other duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement a fresh and innovative marketing and public information strategy aimed at building the University’s image and brand identity to support recruitment, retention, and success of students and growth of the University’s community/business/fundraising partnerships.
- Building, executing, and evaluating comprehensive communication plans; drafting releases, pitching stories to media, and increasing brand awareness; coordinates and generates content for electronic and print materials; creating, curating, and editing communications for the campus community.
- Rebranding and relaunching the University website, as well as creating and overseeing social media content.
- Take an engaged approach to coaching, mentoring, and guiding the communications and marketing team to increase the capabilities and effectiveness of this group, including setting clear performance management objectives, and evaluation of the Department’s structure.
- Act as a University representative with the media.
- Write speeches as requested for the President and other University leadership; and ensure quality and consistency of messaging across all media, marketing platforms, video, print, web, events, and campus marketing.
The Director of Marketing & Communications must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Graphic Design, or Marketing with at least five (5) years of work-related experience desired in marketing, public relations, project management, administration, or other applicable fields.
- Advanced knowledge of marketing strategy, excellent written and verbal communication abilities, design and production expertise, and successful oversight of marketing and media activities.
- Experience directing media relations, crisis communications, and/or serving as a Public Information Officer for a project, agency, company, and/or institution.
- Strong writing, editing, project management, content generation, and supervisory skills needed.
- Experience evaluating marketing campaigns for results and communicating about them to leadership.
- Working knowledge of WordPress standards and functionality.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing data to derive insight in developing marketing and communication strategy and evaluating performance.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport, collaborate, and partner with senior University leaders and other managers.
Preferred Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to provide vision and inspiration necessary to unite a team and accomplish significant goals.
- Ability to delegate and empower a team to accomplish significant goals.
- Collaborative work style that includes the ability to work well with senior leaders across an organization.
- Understanding of media placement at the national and local levels, including:
- Building relationships with reporters and news agencies.
- Understanding news cycles and deadlines.
- Excellent writing and editing proficiency, including:
- Ability to quickly understand and capture in writing new concepts and ideas.
- Ability to write for different audiences.
- Ability to collaborate with others in the writing process.
- Strategic thinking, creativity, and willingness to try different approaches.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Rockford University offers competitive pay and a full benefits package that includes Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Retirement Plan, paid vacation, sick, and holidays.
View full Position Prospectus
For immediate and confidential consideration, please submit applications no later than March 9, 2023, by 6:00 p.m. (CST) to Trey Wright: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications should include: 1) a current resume, 2) a cover letter, and 3) three (3) references. Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Managing Partner & Practice Leader
Kaye/Bassman International Corp.
Phone: (972) 265-5338 – Direct
Email: email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rockford University has partnered with Kaye/Bassman to provide executive search services for the University.
Rockford University’s search committees and hiring managers are especially interested in candidates who through their teaching, research and /or service will contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. Rockford University is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The employer actively supports Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.